Our School Council Representatives for 2019-2020 are:
Pipits - Rowe Finlay and Phoebe Stanbridge
Bramblings - Trey Clarke and Cassidy O'Brien
Skylarks - George Urben and Caitlyn Sullivan
Kingfishers - Ben Glasson and Mya Baudendistal
Nightingales - Toby Reynolds and Ezrah Mockford
Falcons - Quinten King and Eleanor Walters
At Mayfield Primary School we believe it is important that the children feel part of the school community and that their opinions and ideas are valued. Pupils have the opportunity to have their voices heard through regular School Council Meetings. The members of the school council are elected by a class vote; these children then represent their class and bring forward suggestions from their other classmates. The School Council meet with Mrs Smith once a fortnight at lunch time and may have additional meetings when required.
What does the School Council do:
- Listen to the views and concerns of other pupils.
- Raise views and concerns at the School Council meeting.
- Discuss ideas to help improve the school community.
- Make decisions about fundraising ideas for the school and charities.
- Suggest ways to improve the life of the school and contribute to the local and wider community.
- Organise whole school events.
Last year School Council organised raising money for 'Children in Need'. They have listened to ideas from other children in the school about becoming more environmentally friendly so we now collect crisp packets for recycling and have made everyone aware of the correct bins to use in the classroom. They also decided on having an 'attendance gorilla' with each class giving ideas for names which the School Council then chose. This year Mrs Moore will also be joining us for School Council meetings and we look forward to hearing the ideas the pupils bring to these meetings.
Term 1 -
- The School Council discussed having a pyjama day for Children in Need and agreed to support this charity.
- School Council members from Years 4-6 attended an Eco Conference at Heathfield Secondary School and came back with lots of good ideas for making our school more environmentally friendly.
- We are now recycling pens.
- We have appointed light and whiteboard monitors in each class who are responsible for helping our school to conserve energy.
Term 2 -
- We held a pyjama day this term for Children in Need. The School Council helped to advertise and organise the event.
- Children are recording our light usage during lunch and break times and identifying where we could turn lights off to reduce our carbon emission.
- Batteries, pens and crisp packets are being recycled and bins regularly emptied.
Term 3 -
- We discussed different ways to recycle and a recycling bin was put in the staffroom.
- We discussed what to do with waste food and would like to begin using the compost bin in the garden area.
- Meetings have been arranged with Mr Kempson for a food only bin to go in the playground and another meeting with Chartwells regarding waste food in the kitchen.
- We have decided on a local charity we would like to raise money for and classes are discussing how we will do this. The School council suggested that Term 5 would be a good term to do this. We will gather class ideas, then make a final decision on the money raising event.
Poster designed by Joseph Crichton making everyone aware of what goes in our recycling bins in school.